Creating Employment Opportunities and Funding
Grants and the funding streams are drying up, so in order for non-profits to sustain themselves, they have got to become more entrepreneurial.
– Jerry Blassingame, Unlocked
GreenStart is a Soteria CDC social enterprise that was created for two purposes: to provide a funding stream to support Soteria’s other work and to create employment opportunities. Through countywide deconstruction, reclamation and furniture production operations, we create jobs for individuals who have been recently released from incarceration and are residing in transitional housing.
Individuals are recruited from Soteria House, our transitional housing program, and from various other agencies by referral, which are operating transitional housing and serving disadvantaged individuals. GreenStart employs both male and female employees who are referred to as interns. All interns must complete four weeks of structured job readiness classes prior to being placed on the job.
GreenStart’s mission is to provide transitional job opportunities to people who face significant obstacles to employment. It includes countywide deconstruction and reclamation services that contribute to sustainability within the community.
GreenStart will foster positive partnerships within the Greenville County neighborhoods and business communities to establish long-term sustainable and financial support. The program will also provide both transitional job opportunities to people who face significant obstacles to employment and a countywide service to Greenville County.
GreenStart aims to ensure that its interns have access to gainful employment. The activities include:
- Recruiting motivated individuals
- Building a framework for success
- Developing skills and experiences for lasting careers
- Creating real opportunities through quality employment
- Sustaining real and lasting success
Through the program, we aim to achieve the following:
- Reduced recidivism by helping returning offenders find work and access to other critical services in their communities
- Job creation and income flow by helping the individuals to become gainfully employed to pay off debts, purchase a home, or pursue educational goals
- Opportunities for disadvantaged individuals to develop professionally and gain work experience through transitional or long-term job placement
- The implementation of a reclamation service that will aim to divert waste from landfills
Since the GreenStart deconstruction program began in March 2014, we have salvaged:
Work for Us
Interested in working for GreenStart? We invite you to complete and return our employment application to be considered for future job opportunities.