Executive Director of Soteria CDC
Senior Pastor of Soteria Christian Fellowship
Jerry Blassingame is the Founder and CEO of Soteria Community Development Corporation. He endeavors to empower individuals and the community through education, affordable housing, financial literacy, community and economic development, and entrepreneurship. His passion is assisting individuals who have been incarcerated through reentry and helping them to become productive citizens.
Jerry attended Columbia International University and studied architectural engineering at Greenville Technical College. Jerry received a 20 year prison sentence in 1995 and only served 3 1/2 years after being paroled in 1999. He is also a Social Entrepreneur who believes in social enterprise for the non-profit sector. Jerry has continued to fight for change in legislation since he was granted a pardon in 2004. After 14 years of advocacy, South Carolina passed its first legislation to expunge felony drug charges in December of 2018.
In 2018, Jerry published his first book, Reclaimed, a memoir that details his story from tragedy to triumph.
Jerry lives in Greenville South Carolina with his wife, Stephanie of 20 years and 3 of their 6 kids. He is an active part of the community and an advocate for economic and social justice.
Soteria CDC has continued to receive recognition for its community service:
- In 2004, received outstanding Prison Aftercare Award from Transition of Prisoners Inc.
- In September 2008, at the Housing and Community Economic Development Conference, Soteria CDC received the South Carolina Association of Community Development Corporations Award for outstanding leadership and service to low-income neighborhoods and communities in Greenville County.
- In January 2009, at the Greater Greenville Chamber of Commerce annual meeting, received the Max Heller Neighborhood Improvement Award for exemplary efforts towards neighborhood improvement and empowerment.
- 2009-2010 Graduate of the Leadership Greenville class 36
- 2010-2012 Jerry served on the PTA board for AJ Whittenberg Elementary as President Elect and 2012-2013 as President. Also served as President Elect for Southwest Council PTA of Greenville County as.
- In 2013, received an award from Institute of Prison Ministry for prison aftercare.
- In 2014, received a Chuck Colson scholarship to attend Wheaton College correctional ministries program
- 2014-2015 PTSA President of PJ Fisher Middle School
- 2015, certified at Wheaton College in correctional ministries as a re-entry specialist.
- In 2015, became the Vice President of Correctional Ministries and Chaplain Association International based out of Wheaton College through the Institute for Prison Ministries
- 2016 Fellow of Just Leadership USA
- 2016 Chair of the Greenville Reentry Coalition
- 2018 Aspen Institute Healthy Communities Fellow
- 2019 Greenville Chamber of Commerce Buck Mickel Award for Community Development
- 2016-2019 Vice President Correctional Ministries & Chaplains Association
- 2019-2021 President Correctional Ministries & Chaplains Association
Kate Weaver Patterson
Managing Attorney and Site Director for the South Carolina Second Chance Justice Collaborative
Kate leads the South Carolina Second Chance Justice Collaborative, which is a partnership between Soteria and nationwide reentry advocate Root & Rebound. The Collaborative advocates for the rights of people who have been harmed and marginalized by mass incarceration, seeking to increase access to justice and opportunity for people with records, and to fight poverty and create second chances for people in Greenville and more broadly across South Carolina. Kate grew up in Greenville and attended Duke University for her undergraduate and law degrees. She also holds a Master’s Degree in International Affairs from the University of Hong Kong. After working in New York, Charlotte and Miami, she returned home to the city she loves, looking to be a force for positive change. She lives in Greenville with her husband and their two children.
Junious Buchanan is the Program manager of Soteria House . His mission is to Love God , Have Fun, and Inspire . This simple yet meaningful mission places God’s will for Ministry and family first. Remembering the joy of the Lord second , and spreading the good news and inspiring others sums it up .
Junious is a U.S. Army Veteran who has served honorably in Afghanistan as well as stateside in hurricane relief operations . Junious attended Southeastern Louisiana University where he studied Kinesiology and North-shore Technical College where he studied Business Administration.
Junious comes to Soteria with indefatigable passion for ministry. His experience as a Senior Pastor, Composer , Writer, and Business Man suits him to thrive in any arena.
Junious Currently Lives in the upstate region with his wife Chante of 8 years and their 7 children . He serves as an Elder at Relentless Church and is actively blazing a trail of faith and freedom .
Executive Administrative Assistant and Property Manager
Denise Patterson is the Executive Administrative Assistant and Property Manager of Soteria Community Development Corporation.
Denise, a graduate of Eastside High School, continued her education at Greenville Technical College from 2008-2013 where she received her Associate Degrees in Business Management, Marketing, Supply Chain Management and Accounting. In November 2007, she began volunteering at Soteria CDC as an appointment setter for the Ministry of Resources Benevolence Ministry. In May 2011, she started an Internship for Soteria’s Green Start Recycling before coming onboard as staff in July 2011 as Soteria Program Manager. As the need expanded, so did Denise’s role into Administrative Assistant and Property Manager. In seeing a need of managing the housing of Soteria CDC, she went back to Greenville Tech in August 2012 and received certification in Property Management. Shortly thereafter in January 2014, she became a Notary Public for The State of South Carolina. In her spare time she loves to be “YaYa” to her 3 grandchildren.
Denise has four children and resides in Greenville, South Carolina
Soteria At Work, Project Manager
Wallace Justice is the Deconstruction Project Manager for Soteria At Work.
Wallace joined Soteria in 2017 and has given 110% to become a positive, productive member of society. This man loves good hard labor, and it shows. His deep understanding of construction combined with his maturity and motivation make Wallace one fine Project Manager. We are proud to have him.
A graduate of Vanderbilt University, Catherine brings almost 20 years of design and marketing experience to Soteria. She gets the word out about all the good things going on both at Soteria, CDC and Soteria At Work.
Soteria At Work is the on-site job skill training program at Soteria. We teach the men how to deconstruct houses and then use the wood to build furniture and artifacts. Our tagline, “Reclaiming Wood, Reclaiming Lives” rings true every day as the men build tangible skills for future job opportunities in addition to the intangibles like work ethic, time management, and leadership skills.
Elton | Artisan
Michael | Artisan
George | Artisan
Alan | Intern
Jonathan | Intern
Proud to Partner with Furman.
Soteria CDC has teamed up with the Shucker Leadership Institute at Furman University. We are beyond excited to offer internships to these students and provide hands-on experience with non-profit re-entry work.
Community Development Intern
Our Board of Directors
Interested in future opportunities with our Board?
Please complete the following application.